Blossomtail takes a look at the Warrior Code.
Hello! I have not been on here lately, wow, so much has changed! If any of you were here in 2021 – 2022 you may remember me. I am Blossomtail. I wrote several articles about many different characters from the Warriors series. Today I have chosen to write about the warrior code. Is it really fair? What things should be changed?
Let’s start by reviewing the 15 main codes before changes were made in the book A Light in the Mist.
1. Defend your Clan, even with your life. This means you will have to fight your friends from other clans to protect your own.
2. You may not hunt or trespass on another Clan’s territory.
3. Elders, queens, sick or injured cats and kits must be fed before apprentices and warriors unless they have permission.
4. Prey is only killed to be eaten.
5. A kit must be at least six moons old to become an apprentice.
6. New warriors will keep a silent vigil for one night after receiving their warrior name.
7. A cat may not become a deputy without mentoring at least one apprentice.
8. The deputy will become Clan leader when the leader dies, retires, or is exiled.
9. After the death, retirement, promotion to leader, or exile of the deputy, the new deputy has to be chosen by moonhigh.
10. A Gathering of all the Clans is held at the full moon. There must be no fighting during this time.
11. Boundaries must be checked and marked daily.
12. No warrior can neglect a kit in pain or danger, even if the kit is from a different Clan.
13. You must obey your leader.
14. A warrior despises the lifestyle of a kittypet.
15. A warrior does not need to kill other cats to win their battles, unless they are outside the warrior code or if it is necessary for self-defense.
I will now state my opinions on which ones I think should be contradicted. The first one I would like to discuss is #13. Typically, yes, you should obey your leader. However, in some situations if a minimum of 90% of the members of your clan disagree, there should be a vote to not follow his or her command. For example, most of us remember Lionclan. For those of you who don’t, it was a temporary clan formed under Tigerstar’s leadership. He combined both Riverclan and Shadowclan together. It was a dark time where many half-clan-cats were exiled and told to fight each other until their death. Many innocent lives were taken because Tigerstar’s commands were followed. However, if cats were not afraid to break the Warrior Code and speak out, Lionclan may have come to an end much quicker.
Secondly, I do not agree with #14. Practically the most famous leader in the entire series, Firestar, was once a kittypet named Rusty. Another well respected kittypet was Millie. Yes, kittypets do not have to work as hard for survival as warriors do, yet I am sure some still struggle. It can be hard for kittypets who are living with two-leg’s kids. Some two-legs can even be quite cruel to kittypets. The Warrior Code should not stereotype every kittypet.
I hope you understand my views on the Warrior Code. Thank you for reading my article. Let me know what your thoughts are!